from Princes Street and popped into the Scottish National Portrait Gallery for a bit of decorum....

....then upstairs to the galleries, the first one of which houses many beautiful paintings of Scotland through the ages. 
...I particularly liked these plaques which denoted the wives of past Kings of Scotland. Nice of them to get a mention, I thought.This lady looked very kind. I forget her name.
I looked for my family name in here but alas, they must have forgotten to include it before it went off to Pall Mall for publishing! I shall complain.
I thought these were an interesting addition to the library cases. You've probably heard of them. They're the infamous body-snatchers/grave robbers (all in the name of science, apparently!), Burke and Hare. They don't look very jolly characters.
and in this case, some very famous faces. The top right-hand is Benjamin Franklin (for my American pals). Don't worry, they're not death masks or anything (though Burke and Hare's were!), just casts which were taken when the faces were still alive!
Then back downstairs into the main foyer, where a large marble statue of Scotland's Bard, Robert Burns, is in prominence.
....and next stop, one of my favourite wool/yarn shops and always worth a visit when in Edinburgh (I was very reserved and didn't buy anything. I could start my own wool shop with my current stash!). Then it was time for a much-needed pitstop.
and on to my next venue which was a lovely little art gallery, where a friend was holding an exhibition of his recent work.

and these fisherwomen were beautifully made and in pretty colours.
Many,many moons ago and in a galaxy far,far away, I worked in one of these offices. I can't believe I'm the same person. Well, same but different.
Then it was time to head uptown amongst the melee and mayhem to catch my train home ......ghost tour anyone?....until next time
xoxoxoxo


....then into the library, which is quite small but which houses many,many antiquarian books and the marble busts you can see are of famous Scots, one of whom I mistook for J.K. Rowling - can you see the resemblance? It is in fact a lady of much high-standing in Scotland. Her full title is Baroness Helena Kennedy of the Shaws Q.C. - what a great handle!
Time is alwaysmarching, isn't it?



I have no idea who this chap is but I thought he looked very Byron-esque and equally handsome. I shall research him and get back to you. 
and by way of a complete contrast, this exhibit at his feet which - you'll never believe it - is in fact a piece of contemporary art which was recently installed as part of the Festival. It's called 'Blackened Burns'. I actually thought it was a whole statue which someone had accidentally knocked over!
Then a gentle stroll along these lovely streets filled with lovely houses and pretty window boxes.


Wow! You're a good sight seer! I think I'd just go to the knit shop. I think Jean from Jean's Knitting goes there, too! I hope your time off has been lovely, Nana!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely visit to Edinburgh with you! Have fun playing with your wool!
ReplyDeleteVery interesting! Thank you so much as I will probably never get to see those wonderful sites in my lifetime. It's funny, but for years I thought it was 'far from the maddening crowd' and it wasn't until I picked up the book at a sale that I discovered it was 'madding' not maddening. Although, I really thought 'maddening' fit better! LOL!
ReplyDeleteI watch a lot of knitting podcasts and they all rave about the Edinburgh yarn festival! I'm in the U.S. and yes, we have a bunch of 'loonies' in office here too! I think it's becoming the norm around the world....scarry and embarassing too. But I never judge a countries people by their leaders and I hope the reverse is true also! LOL! Thank you again for sharing.
that was a lovely trip, I like the cushion at the gallery and the walk along the little mews houses with basement gardens. I would have thought that modern art was something knocked over and broken too and would probably have tried to pick it up even! Betty
ReplyDelete