Tuesday, 2 January 2018

Getting Back to Normal......

.....well that went quickly, didn't it??! As soon as the family made their exit last evening, I got down to the business of clearing away the Christmas decorations but first, I had a thought to empty the attic of the existing, rather vintage decorations which had been languishing up there for a few years now. Well, needless to say, I got myself into a right old tangle but hey, the job's a good 'un now and there's more than a few bin liners full of 'stuff' waiting to be taken to the charity shops tomorrow when they re-open after the festivities. It's quite 'lightening' and 'enlightening' to discover you've made a hole in all the extra stuff that's been accumulating over the years and which you really and truly did have every intention of getting rid of long before the beginning of yet another New Year.
I never make resolutions anymore, knowing myself better than to make promises I'll never or can't keep but there is every chance that I will curtail my buying activities in every charity shop I seem to encounter on a weekly basis and instead, aim to recycle, 'Freecycle' or give things away to people who may need them more than I do.
That's the plan, anyway.
 Watch this space!

My sisters and I decided not to gift each other things this year which took a lot of pressure off the giving and receiving (I'd rather give them good birthday presents anyway), same went for my nieces and nephews, although one of my nephews did gift me a handmade Xmas Card (he's an architect and it was beautifully and very artistically done) as well as an Hotel Chocolat Reindeer which doesn't actually exist anymore because I ate it! I did, however, receive lovely gifts from my boys and their wives (who were obviously left to do the buying of said gifts!).
I've wanted this crochet book for ages. Many of you may already know of the author, Cecile Balladino aka Eclectic Gipsyland. I like her 'Bohemian' approach to crochet. Her designs and colourways are a refreshing departure from the norm. 
xxxx
I think these may be my two new favourite knitting books!Kate Davies is a Legend in her own lifetime! Her designs border on the iconic and although I don't pretend to be able to knit with the anything near her skills and mastery with wool and needles, I can flick through the book, which also contains recipes for some Scottish staples like Lavender Shortbread (well, shortbread is definitely a staple but I'm not sure about the addition of the lavender!) ogle at the pretty pictures and pretend that one day, I will knit at least one thing from the book!  Another of my all-time favourite crafters is Erika Knight. I already have one or two of her crochet books but when I started reading this new book, I was a little disappointed to find out that it was a compilation of various of her designs dating as far back as 2006! I'm not sure whether I agree with it being republished in the guise of a brand new book. It's a bit like cheating or taking a short-cut, although it does have some nice patterns in it as well. What do you think?
 
It certainly looks like I have lots to keep me occupied this year, as well as improving my crochet and knitting skills!


Talking of improving skills, I'm sure that this 'Thermo Spoon' which was gifted to me by a daughter of my boss (another of her daughters gave me a beautiful box of biscuits from Fortnum and Mason but I haven't opened them, waiting 'til the Queen pops in for tea until I do! Just kidding, obviously!)will really help with my jam and marmalade making (yes, it's nearly marmalade making-time again, can you believe?). It has a digital thermometer in the handles which registers the temps of the mixture while you're stirring it! How cool (but not too cool or the stuff won't set!) is that?





Then, as if that wasn't enough, a lovely parcel arrived from my Bestie in New Zealand and it contained some lovely variegated wool, pretty coloured buttons, gorgeous Manuka Flower hand cream and the loveliest colourful wallet in which to put all my storecards. The black bird on the front of the wallet is apparently the same type of bird which visits my friend's garden. I can't remember what she said it was called (I think it begins with a 'T') but aren't the colours on the wallet so uplifting?


 But I think my 'best' present were the ones which my pretty little Grandaughters gave me. There they are adorning my kitchen wall. Says it all really! I've been very lucky again, this year for as well as family gifts, a couple of my Best Bloggy Pals sent me things too, for which I'm exceptionally grateful that they would even consider me on their long Xmas Lists. You know who you are. Thank You. x
xoxoxox
I'll share the bouquet with you which my eldest and his wife gave me on New Year's Eve. 

Smells divine!
x0x0x0
So what was your 'best' present this year?

11 comments:

  1. Hi Annie! Oh, you DID receive some lovely things! I think one of my best gifts is a fluffy blue robe (dressing gown) that is so warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love my fluffy dressing gowns! Much needed over her at the moment too!

      Delete
  2. I think you were properly spoiled just as you should be. I have never heard of that crochet book but it looks wonderful. Enjoy all your wonderful gifts and eat those biscuits while watching The Crown, sort of like the Queen coming for tea. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was rather spoiled, Meredith, wasn't I. My boss watches The Crown but I haven't quite caught on to it yet. I think the actor who plays Prince Philip is completely wrong for the role (he was Dr. Who in a previous role) because the Prince was so tall and handsome in his younger days and that actor quite clearly ain't!!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Gifts Anne ... as soon as I saw the photo of the wallet I thought how gorgeous it was. That's a Tui on the front ... one of our native birds & they make the most wonderful sounds .. I have them in my garden too. They just adore the cherry blossom trees when they are in bloom. Happy New Year to you Anne Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. Yes, you're right, it is a Tui. I found the description on the card from NZ. I got another card today and it has a picture of a Pohutukawa tree on it which my friend has in her garden, which has flowered for the first time since they moved to their new house.

      Delete
  4. Love the new look Nana...and the fantastic gifts are beautiful. Like you I am resolved to stop doing the charity shop shopping this year - need to declutter!
    Hope your new year is wonderful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libs and Happy New Year to you. The charity shops were all still shut today so I now have a carload of stuff going nowhere until tomorrow now!!

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see your family gifts, especially from the little ones, you are much loved. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betty. My friend gifts were special too!! x

      Delete
  6. How is your resolution going to curtail your buying activities in charity shops! That really made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all of you lovely folk who take time to pass by and leave your lovely comments. I'm always humbled by your generosity of time and spirit. Haste Ye Back! x

Moving Day

...in Blogland.   My new home is here Hope you'll join me soon. xxx