My first port of call for inspiration for this month's calendar pic from Floss was the back of my wardrobe! The colours on the poster reminded me of this old dress which I've had for a very long time.....
and although I know I'll probably never wear it again, I can't quite bring myself to get rid of it just yet. It's an 80's Laura Ashley and at the time I loved wearing it to various events and it was brilliant to wear for dancing with all that silkiness swish,swish,swishing around on top of the black net petticoat which also twirled and swirled in time to the music, while maintaining a certain decorum when being flung around the dancefloor at Ceilidhs!....
....and I normally partnered it with this little vintage tapestry bag which I love to bits and so admire the work involved in the pattern
.....and then in keeping with the colour scheme of the poster, I rooted around some more and found this....
.....so here's a nice little Mucha instead to be getting along with!I thought her colours were very similar to the flowing River Tweed in the poster....
....and I thought the chair cover in this pic was similar to the colour of the sky.....but maybe not!
For the colour of the castle I was reminded of my very,very vintage Sara Moon print. Remember those back in the day?
Some people thought they were really cheap and tacky at the time but I loved mine, although somewhere along the road she's lost her frame and glass! She's been lugged around quite a bit over the years!
Sara Moon was the photographer for Biba, the brainchild of Barbara Hulanicki....oh Biba, how I loved thee so! Do you remember the classy mail order brochures - all sleek and black with the gold Biba logo on that smooth matt paper?! My Mother would never let me buy anything from their mail order book because she thought the clothes were far too 'avant garde' for a wee lassie from a Scottish mining village but my schoolfriend's older sister was allowed to order complete outfits and I remember thinking how wonderfully stylish and classy she always looked in her Biba navy blue wide legged pantalons with the bright red cummerbund around her waist and the black felt floppy hat adorning her blonde flowing locks!!!My time came some years later though but by then, they'd stopped doing mail order and had opened some shops ... my nearest one was 500 miles away in London! I managed to buy some of their make-up though in a department store in Glasgow - remember the lovely black compact with the thick,almost yellow foundation inside and the dark maroon lipstick! I thought I was the bees-knees!
......and here is my favourite Biba image which I rescued from a scrapyard years ago....it had no glass in the frame, which I always meant to change, so some of the print is a little damaged but for the moment she's quite safe up on the wall in her finery and swaddled in leopard print!
Enjoy and have a great week Mes Amis xxx
ps Thanks Everyone for fab comments and stopping by last time and all the times before that - you're the BEST!









Hello humble yet worthy Nana Go Go! (Sorry, your last comment there reminded me of something from our sermon in church this morning!)
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm really glad you took up the outfit suggestion - and that dress is just fantastic! And then all the Biba stuff - ooh, fashion heaven for me. I seem to have been born in the wrong decades. I had a Barbara Huliniki tweed jacket from a charity shop in the 1980s, but as I was a teenager I grew out of that... How I would love to have one in my size now.
Yes indeed, the thrill of what we have, and of what we once had, as you've said before. Thanks!
The dress is classic, hope you do wear it sometimes. I remember BIBA well, I used to get the bus to Kensington and spend all morning at Biba, mostly posing in the chairs in the big dark glass windows! I loved the atmosphere and people watching. Nobody minded how much you used the testers so you could emerge with a complete makeup!
ReplyDeleteOh how I love that LA dress. My friend had one very similar. Biba was fabulous - but way beyond a girl growing up in a small Norfolk market town.
ReplyDeleteI am loving this Thrill-Fest - but as yet haven't been inspired by this month's Tweed picture.
Lovely photos, lovely memories.
ReplyDeleteThis was a lovely post to read
I remember going to the Biba shop in London with my brothers girlfriend who was quite abit older than me, I felt so trendy and grown up.Don't remember buying anything though.
ReplyDeleteGillx
I can just picture swirling around it that beautiful dress......loved your prints and all the stories with them....I will have to think about my Marches contribution....an outfit....I sliced my finger yesterday real good.....Phil was telling me not to sharpen the knife over the drawer and I smarted him off and whack......oh well a shot later and glued up finger i'm fine...more mad than anything....don't you hate when you do something stupid like that!
ReplyDeleteHave a super day dancing queen....I say take her out for a spin!
Great post! Your dress must have been lovely on and great for dancing around in! Great stories behind all your prints, so many memories there and it's great to hear them! :) x
ReplyDeleteGorgeous dress and lovely post.I enjoyed wandering down memory lane with you.....Thank you Anne x
ReplyDeleteHej Anne
ReplyDeleteLOVE the LA dress I can envision you wearing it beautiful and the tapestry bag too.
I liked your stories about BiBA I can remember as a child in the 60's going to the Biba store in London my Mum loved to shop there and I remember the black cosmetics and the gold Biba sign on them...thanks for the little trip down memory lane. Your prints are really interesting too...
Have a wonderful Wednesday
LOVE PEACE enJOY
Julie
x
Hi there, I came through Libby, really love that tapestry dress and the purse, I've never owned anything tapestry before....I can really see it on a very modern chair...And you have so many hidden treasures in your home!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely collection of prints. Seeing them through their glass keeps them personal to you. I do like the Floor Polishers and putting the Mucha lass in quite makes up for lack of nudity: they are pretty saucy with bits of breast nonchalently revealed. Hmm you even have me looking at the Sara Moon style anew.
ReplyDeleteA beautifull dress,and that picture from Sara Moon, lovely.
ReplyDeleteThanks for visit my blog.
Your blog is very nice to,
Have a nice weekend.
Greetings Hanneke
Hiya, boy have I missed alot of great posts during my 'malaise' (I like that word, makes it seem as if I've been reclining on a feather pillow somewhere boudoiry, lol) Love this post, love seeing your treasures and loving the spring header, so cheerful! x
ReplyDelete