You'll obviously need some of the above - I used 3 x the amount you see here - I was making A LOT....then a couple of lemons and one or two limes (I'll explain about them later)....some of this....
Slice the oranges according to how you like your marmalade.....I prefer non-chunky so I slice thinly....you can use a Magimix or other food processor for this task as it's quite a tedious part of the job and can give you blisters on your palms!....or you can continue slicing manually and use the process therapeutically until you have a pile which looks like this...
The next day!........dig out your preserving pan and rub inside with a piece of lemon OR slice/chop some lemon and add to the orange mixture.....then put the pips that you previously set aside (24 hours ago!) in a muslin bag or a piece of muslin and insert into the orange pulpy mixture, making extra sure the bag is secured tightly or else you'll be spitting pips for evermore, then simmer the lot for approx 4 hours or at least until the orange pieces are quite tender. At this point, the recipe I use suggests leaving the mixture to stand for another 24 hours but I skip this part and just get on with it!So.......When the pulp is cool, weigh it again and for every 1lb of pulp (one pint of pulp = 1lb in weight - I used a 4-pint measuring jug for this purpose) add 1lb 3oz (apologies for non-metric measurements) of the preserving sugar - which, of course you've previously warmed in the oven - (less if you like a slightly bitter marmalade).
Dissolve the sugar into the pulp, bring to a rolling boil ....
Now for the fun part....when the syrup has cooled slightly, pot into warm,sterilised jars, leave to set, then find the biggest croissant,scone or slice of bread you can and slap on some of that gorgeous,golden,tasty MARMALADE!.....told you this post was rivetting!
......although think you might find that one jar is never enough....
Enjoy...... and have a Great Weekend Everyone, however you're spending it. xxx
ps WORD VERIFICATION - JUST SAY NO!
Oh my goodness how did I miss these 2 posts of yours I'm so sorry....First I love your umbrella in the previous post...its amazing!
ReplyDeleteI love marmalade jelly , but I'm the only one every once in a while I treat myself....I bet yours is just over the top Momma.
mystery man hosted 4 girls from the choir last week also and I asked what he made for them for breakfast...scrambled eggs with cheese, pancakes and bacon!
He cooks this is a major point factor, what do you think?
This looks so delicious!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I have removed the word verification from my blog too- I hate the new one sooooooooo much
Have a lovely marmalade filled weekend
xx
Mr T would love this might have to give it a go.
ReplyDeleteGillx
HI. That looks so yummy. I think i will need to make some too now : )
ReplyDeletehave great weekend.
That looks amazing, the color is so rich. You are sending me into a hypoglycemic attack just looking at the pictures.
ReplyDeleteHave a wonderful weekend,
Meredith
Wow, great tutorial! It looks fantastic, well done on all that hard work! Seems more difficult than jam though. Hope you're having a great weekend! :) x
ReplyDeleteMmmmmmm...I can smell the oranges and I am now craving toast..I love marmalade and you can't beat homemade Anne x
ReplyDeleteHelllo Anne!
ReplyDeleteMarmelade...I've never made it, probably because I don;t like it ...my Dad loves it so think I will make good use of your recipe and have a go with making some...thanks for sharing ;-)
LOVE those RED kitchen scales ...beautiful
LOVE PEACE enJOY your Sunday
Kram
Julie
x
Oh I love marmalade and of course its only tasty when very thickly spread!! Unfortunately my hips don't like marmalade and the butter and the bread so as I have no will power I don't make it. Your recipe looks amazing, Ive never heard of putting the sugar in the oven beforehand? Sounds like a good tip. Actually I am thinking of joining a local group that barters things between each other so maybe I could make some marmalade and barter that? Now you have got me thinking :-)
ReplyDeleteNot crazy about Marmalade but this is making me reconsider.....I bet home made is great, thanks for the tutorial x
ReplyDeleteHi there!! Thanks for coming by my blog Simplify and following me! What a great tute on making marmalade!! I am craving some now!! I see you crochet as well. We must have kids about the same ages too. I will be back, and often.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Kris
yum, looks lush x
ReplyDeleteTotal yumminess! I tried once but burnt it so not had the courage to try again :)
ReplyDelete