.......on a very dark, (6.00pm and black as midnight!)frosty evening......
...fabulous stonework and brightly lit rooms courtesy of the stunning chandeliers suspended from the ceilings....
....waiting in an orderly line underneath some spooky trees....
..oh, look who I spy having his press pics done.....
.....why it's only Mr. Neil Oliver, Historian/Archaeologist, International Man of History, about to give a talk on his latest book and TV series 'The Vikings'......
'twas a very good evening...I can quite happily report that The History Man is funny,clever,supremely intelligent, has immaculate hair! (I was tempted to ask him what hair products he favoured....his locks were long,flowing and very,very shiny!),full of boyish charm (lucky Mrs Oliver), and a little phased by the turnout, as he asked the audience so modestly and endearingly, were they sure they hadn't come to see Jamie Oliver?!
.....until next year!ps JK Rowling was also on the bill - the tickets sold out immediately but I have it on good authority (my boss, actually) that she gave a very good talk on her latest (adult) book and she was sporting a really fab pair of black leather boots with 4-inch high heels (I saw the pic, JK looked very 'Rock Chick', well you would, wouldn't you?!).
pps Last week, I gained two new followers, thank you so much and welcome to my world. In the process of writing this post, I 'lost' a follower (not one of my new folks glad to say). Hey ho, you win some, you lose some. Just wondered what your take on the 'follow/don't follow' procedure was?





I first cry when I lose a follower....takes me two days to recover!
ReplyDeletehehehe....I must admit the first time it happened it did really bother me, I took it personally till a friend said it probably was from someone deleting there blog....which made sense....
Now back to that lovely head of hair!
Sounds like a great evening.
ReplyDeleteI have my regulars that I always read but have had a bit of a clear out recently of some of the more commercialised blogs.
Gillx
I confess that I am no good at saying 'welcome to my new follower Ethel' and I suspect that is why some people only follow me for a week and then retreat!! Followers who comment are a different matter - in my brain they are re-labelled 'blogfriends' and become Real People! And then when they move on to the exciting stage of "Blogfriends I have met" that is a whole new ball game.
ReplyDeleteWould have LOVED to have been with you for the Mr O evening [Pantene, do you think? or maybe 'lucky Mrs O' shares her L'oreal with him!!]]
blessings xx
Oh God Nana! How bad is it that I've no idea who this handsome chap is???? You're so cultured my dear!!!! I've recently lost a few followers...probably because I'm so BORING and only post every six months! Have a gorgeous day Nana!!! xxxx
ReplyDeleteYes, hair products would have been on my list if I got to interview him! I presume this is at the bosses gaff? and that everything was tip top thanks to your hard work? Bloggers leaving puzzles me - I suppose they get bored with my witterings - maybe they extend housekeeping and spring cleaning to blogging and tidy us out? Maybe they realise I'm a middle aged mum working in a boring old call centre and not a wood fairy! I'm not leaving your blog though as I truly believe your Scottish image: you wear kilts, live or at least work in a castle, eat Haggis and knit sporrans and I find all of that very interesting. Betty
ReplyDeleteOoh I'm a bit of a fan of Neil Oliver - I mentioned him on a recent post of mine about Viking burial grounds (it was linked to my trip to Sweden). So pleased to know his hair was as glossy as it looks on telly ;-)
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun evening you had, I wish I could have been there to listen. On the follower/unfollower thing I have to say I really don't pay too much attention. I have been blogging quite a while, I don't think my blog has taken off and attracted a lot of followers, but the steady friends I have in blog land are so wonderful. I would rather have them then a million followers.
ReplyDeleteHugs to you sweet friend,
Meredith
Good grief. Why haven't I found you before? It was only when I discovered tonight that you are in Scotland... God's country indeed.
ReplyDeleteI have to admit, bit of a fan of Neil Oliver too. It's his accent as well as his hair.
Jessica
Nana....I don't pay any heed to following or unfollowing....as long as the same few people read/comment then I don't feel ignored or neglected! and I try to answer every comment I receive.
ReplyDeleteHello! You follow me, but I don't (sorry, didn't - I've rectified that!) follow me. Not sure why. I enjoy your blog!
ReplyDeleteHow lovely to meet Neil Oliver - I always enjoyed listening to his pieces on "Coast" - he has such a lovely voice. I'm sure he would be really interesting too.
Apparently to hand felt water has to be hot and washing up liquid is used as opposed to laundry detergent. Rub the washing up liquid into the wool and put it in the hot water, then rub it against the bottom of the washing up bowl to agitate it. Also rub it between your hands to help matt the fibres together. Repeat a few times and then shock the wool with a rinse in cold water... then put back in the hot water and keep rubbing. It is exhausting work hand felting! Felting cashmere would make me cry... I like the autumn leaves background on your blog x
ReplyDeleteHey Anne, sounds like an interesting evening and Mr. Oliver well, what can I say? He can talk till the cows come home and he'd never bore me, love the accent.
ReplyDeleteI also love the series Coast.....
JK Rowling certainly would've been interesting, no wonder she sold out quickly.
Things sound very WIntry over there weather wise.
CLaire x
P.S. Forgot to add my two cents worth re: Followers.
ReplyDeleteI used to worry about how many I had and then I got over it.
It's not like everyone reads or comments on every post I publish.
If I'm interested in someone's blog I will follow them and I have my regulars that I visit.
I'm not keen on the "I'm your latest follow, perhaps you could follow me too!!"