I always think of this particular week as the calm before the storm. Come this time next week, the Christmas hamster wheel will well and truly be 'birling' (a Scottish word meaning to go round and round) at warp speed and if you're not on it by then, might as well just give up and prepare for next year instead!! Personally speaking, I'm not driven by all the hustle and bustle and complete commercialism at this time of year. I've been making things to give, including trying my hand at soap-making which was a pleasant way to spend a grey and dull afternoon and made my kitchen smell delightful! Apart from toys for the children, I've honed my purchases right back this year (a huge garage bill for my little car put paid to any excessive over-spending!) so I hope each recipient will be happy with his/her presents, made with love in each stitch and every drop of bergamot oil!
I picked up a vintage (1959) Christmas magazine in a charity shop the other day and was mightily impressed with some of the artwork......
....the lights on in the cottages and the smoke funnelling from the chimneys look inviting on a cold, snowy night..........so to finish and by complete contrast, a pic of an absolute Cherub!
********
Hope you're all coping admirably in the run-up to the Big Day?
ps We're battening down the hatches in these parts, the winter storms are in full force today!
Keep Safe and Warm and Thank You for popping-in.
xoxoxoxox
ps We're battening down the hatches in these parts, the winter storms are in full force today!
Keep Safe and Warm and Thank You for popping-in.
xoxoxoxox






" birding" I kinda like that word.....and will use it again
ReplyDeleteAs for those vintage Xmas cards....I love em
Glad to see you again x
You're smart to make sweet things for the people you love! I'd love to see some photos of those knitted/crocheted gifts!
ReplyDeleteI hope the weather isn't too awful and that you can enjoy a few leisurely cups of tea and some toast with plum jam! Sending heaps of love your way, friend!
It was fun looking at your vintage pictures. Those were the days..what memories. Fun you found that old calendar. Someone held it all that time, just imagine.
ReplyDeleteHello Anne - was wondering where you were my friend & hoped that all was well in your world. Yes I think of this week as the calm before the storm also :-) December is going by so very fast. I love your vintage magazine, quite a find I think. You are so good making handmade gifts - just lovely for the recipients. Take care Anne x0x
ReplyDeleteWell hello there!!! Long time, no see! Glad you are well, and busy with the holiday spirit! Aren't those old magazines great!
ReplyDeleteI am with you about not indulging in the commercialization of Christmas. I make nearly all of my gifts. Except for the grands. And some for the grands as well. It is busy, busy for me! My machine and I will be humming along every day. And in between, there are many celebrations to partake in!
So great to see you!!
xo Kris
That add for the cigarettes is funny - it reminded me of advertising in the 60s when mums got tinned fray bentos pies (still available) and lied about them being home made on the advert and dads had a 'condor moment' creating a huge fug with a cigar while their wives looked on adoringly through the haze of cancerous secondary smoke inhalation! how times have changed! Betty
ReplyDeleteHope you're ok in all these high winds Nana. Your home made gifts sound splendid...I have only bought one present so far and have not even begun 'Christmas' yet! Oh well I guess I'll be on the hamster wheel after work next week..take care x
ReplyDeleteThe images are beautiful aren't they. Stay safe in this weather. xx
ReplyDeleteYour Christmas post is just greatttttttt.........xx
ReplyDeleteI am done with Christmas makes, I have my cards ready to mail and now maybe just a present or two to buy. I am ahead of where I was last year but still not in the Christmas spirit, maybe a snow storm would help.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Meredith
Hi slowly catching up sem ages since I was last blogging...second book finished just proofs to read now and bk 3 already started still can't believe it lol thanks for asking
ReplyDeleteLove the vintage cards I used to have a collection hiding some where just not sure where lol
Hugs x
Lovely to hear from you, although apologies that it took so long to spot your post.
ReplyDeleteWell done on your frugal approach to Christmas, I always start with good intentions on the present making front and end up buying more than I'd planned. I just don't have enough time for all I'd like to do.