Firstly, we visited the small town of Selkirk where they were hosting an arts and crafts week.
All of the shop windows had been yarn bombed with items relevant to what they sold. This one was a plumber's merchant, obviously! (that's my sister's reflection on the outside of the window but it looks like she was in the shop!).
Cute knitted taps!
The local burger bar.
and the pub!
The Post Office?
The toilet and washing facilities were stored underneath the bed!
The cosy fireplace with that adorable little crib keeping warm by the fire.
When we walked into the shop at the back of the premises, I nearly fainted at the sight of this 'gentleman shopkeeper'!Can you see why?Not sure if his hairstyle was exactly fitting for the period. More 'Beatles-like' to me.
Anyone remember these Pink Paraffin Pumps? Perhaps not, I forget sometimes that I'm THAT old.
This was perhaps the tiniest w.c. I'd ever seen. Perhaps a prototype for the real thing.
I loved these syphons.
Can you guess what this is? A clue would be that it had a very big drum inside.
Glad I can do my ironing with a turbo-charged model!
Imagine having to use this to iron puffed sleeves, bonnets and bustles!!
The Mangle! My Mother used to have one of these but a portable one that fitted over the sink. You soon knew about it if you got your fingers trapped in between the rollers as you were feeding the clothing through! Thank goodness she replaced it with an ultra-modern twin tub machine!!
Here he is again!
I loved this little statue of a young girl who was left heartbroken at the news of the death of her loved one at the Battle of Flodden Field. Her face was so sad.
Fancy a woolly cuppa?
The well-stocked woolly bookshelves.
Betty, I thought of you and your paints when I saw this.
This was a beautifully painted ceiling in one of the rooms.
My sisters posing. My youngest sister, on the far side of the fountain, is suffering with her health at the moment, which is probably very apparent from how thin she is. She puts a very brave face on things though she is in chronic pain. Maybe you could say a little prayer for her, if you possible wouldn't mind? My other sister also has health issues but hopefully her recent examination will throw up nothing serious. I love my little sisters very much.
The next day, we had a go on my sister's electric pushbike (absolutely no energy needed when going uphill - the turbo charged battery does it all for you!), we went for a leisurely breakfast, then we visited Melrose Abbey, then had a browse around a very large car boot sale (I came home with a very large mirror which I couldn't resist!), went for coffee, visited an orchard where we picked some apples in exchange for a small donation, then spent some time admiring the purple majesty of the heather-covered hills before it was time to get in the car (saved on my train fare by hitching a lift from my sister!) and make our way homeward, reflecting on what a lovely weekend we just had and hopefully it won't be long before we can spend some more precious time together.
Thank you for popping-in.
Until next time.
xoxoxoxo
Great photos Anne - what a wonderful weekend you had. I love that Fully Wooly shop - just gorgeous. I have a mangle on my decking area almost identical to that one in your pic. I keep mine up close to the house out of the weather. I love my old mangle so much :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you Julie. It was a great weekend. My youngest sis videos me on the bike.I'll try and get a copy to show you. It's hilarious!
DeleteI would have loved your weekend, the shops (Paint shop especially) and all that yarn bombimg. Lovely to see a pic of you, you look happy. So sorry your sis has so much pain, she did well to join in. Betty x
ReplyDeleteThanks Betty. She made a valiant effort but was glad to get home.
DeleteHow wonderful Nana to have such a weekend together...I will say a prayer for your sister ..there is power in prayer. You and I dress the same way too...we have a lot in common although my two sisters don't get along...such is life eh? Sounds and looks like a great weekend xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Libs. My trusty old Hilfiger jeans (cropped but they're nearly full length on me!)might see another summer but I think my fav French Connection linen top has seen it's day, it's ancient!
DeleteIt looks like a wonderful weekend and hopefully therapeutic. Just today I was praying and wondering if there might be someone I don't know who could do with a prayer (someone specific) Now I have someone!
ReplyDeleteI like the yarn bombing, it adds an extra dimension to a place
I love the wooly shop! How sweet! Prayers for your sister. You must be the best oldest sister ever. You love so well.
ReplyDelete