1987 was my Annus Horribilis. It started bang on time in January with the death of my beloved Grandmother (Nana N) three days after my birthday. Not included in the tragic events of that year was the birth of my second son in March. Three weeks later at the beginning of April and the week before his 54th birthday, our (mine and my two younger sisters) darling Father suffered a massive stroke and died the next day. We still miss him terribly. In the October my then husband had to declare bankruptcy and we lost everything - house,cars,business,self-esteem,dignity. We moved to a rented property in the country which is where my children were brought up and were happy while we waited on the council list for a `proper` house. After fourteen years (yes, it can take that long) we were offered this present home I`m living in now. It`s small but it was sufficient for our needs at that time and we had decided that it would only be temporary until we could buy it and sell again. This would afford us the choice of living in a part of the county we really wanted to settle down in. Unfortunately, my ex had other ideas and after only two months in this house, decided he wanted to leave. I didn`t stop him. The death knell had been tolling for quite a while in the marriage and I was at the stage of giving up rather than fighting any longer to keep it alive. For the boys` sakes as well as my own. I won`t pretend the last nine years of singledom (I`ve had a couple of lucky escapes in the meantime - you don`t want to know, trust me!) haven`t been tough but I think I`ve finally settled into myself and am no longer hampered with the doubts and insecurities I burdened myself with when I was much younger. What you see is what you get I`m afraid! I`ve met and faced some really tough challenges on the journey, employment being one of them. I gave up a Glittering Career in the Civil Service to follow the Hippie Trail, quickly followed by Marriage and Motherhood and was very happy to be a `SAHM`, working in the evenings or very early mornings to bump up the coffers (I`ve been in the same job for seventeen years - my employers are very good people and have rewarded me quite handsomely over the years, allowing me to uphold my dignity and total financial independence - with a couple of years off while I went back to secretarial work which is another story for another day). I reckon I`m the tough old bird I am today due to all of that in part and if I could go back and change anything, I think I would (apart from having my two sons of course!) but perhaps with the benefit of hindsight, we could all do the same.It`s really good being older and wiser and I`m now past the age my father was when he died so I hope I`ve broken the curse of my paternal lifeline and I really do appreciate each and every passing day more and more and absolutely cherish any time I can spend with the Darling Grandaughter.
Had everything gone according to plan before the divorce, this is my favourite spot in the whole of the land where ultimately we were going to move. It`s the tiniest cove you could imagine and the house is a fisherman`s cottage which backs on to a shingle beach - your very own private beach in essence - and I often walk past it, summer and winter and just imagine......

Fancy a dip? The view from the kitchen window.

My youngest sister sitting on my private jetty!
 |
| ....turn left out of the back door and see this.... |
 |
.....and this is your view from the right....
|
 |
| ....and with the going down of the sun...... |
 |
| .....we shall say Nite Nite! |
thank you for sharing your story. you sound a very strong lady,and a very lovely lady as well.
ReplyDeleteyour photos are beautiful and i can understand why you would like to live there.
keep holding on to your dream because one day it might come true. i am holding onto mine.
OOh ... what beautiful photo's, Nana Go-G0 of the setting sun especially, the beach and the views...I can see why you fell in love with it.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing from the heart, something of your journey in life...it sometimes it is a strange old path with find ourselves on...and not always one that we have any choice in, eventually we find the home straight and we come home to the place we want to be.
Sounds like you made it home.
It takes courage to pick yourself up and dust yourself down, what a strong wise beautiful lady you are.
LOVE PEACE and EnJOY your lovely granddaughter
Julie xx
How calm and well balanced and wise you sound now....you've been through ups and downs and come out the other side.....and is that really where you live? looks beautiful....
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for all your kind comments - there`s nothing to beat `sisterhood` for instantly uplifting the spirits!
ReplyDeleteLibby - I don`t live in that exact spot (my Mum`s house is close by) but if you look at the third photo, behind the bank of trees to the right, I live just beyond them with the rest of the hoi-polloi!It`s a nice little village right on the coast but I have to walk for at least 6 minutes before I get that view!
Life is definitely what makes us! Love that beach and the views....I can imagine a house there too :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tiny walk in your shoes. You've earned your place and your peace, and some time with the grands. :-)
ReplyDeleteSounds like you've been through the mill and back again lass. Keep holding on to your dream, it sounds and looks like an amazing dream but maybe one day... Amazing photos :)
ReplyDeleteA good story.I like your dream house with ocean views. Not keen on the pebbles..am white sand person myself.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you've been through a lot in your life, but you definitely sound a lot wiser and happy now. Thanks for sharing your story.
ReplyDeleteLovely pictures, I'd be glad even to live a 6 minute walk from there, you never know though, you may end up in that house on the beach yet!
Thanks for the comment on my blog. I have tried skin so soft, the midges don't bite so much, but they still seem to buzz around and annoy me! Oh well! Also thanks for the link to the map envelopes, I also notcied some coasters using maps too, so much possibilities! :) x
Darling Nana Go-Go, what a fab name! I love the pictures and the imagery of your blog... May I smile a little at 'a glittering career in the Civil Service'? They're just about to shut my office down!
ReplyDeleteThank you so for visiting me and your sweet comments. I am sorry not to have replied in person till now, but I have been without the internet for days, and am now at a friend's house, tippy-tappying so I can access the wifi...
Thank you for what you said to me, and I may well be in touch, so we can perhaps co-author a book??! Do you think there's a market for us?
My love to you, dear Nana Go-Go, Fhina x
So many people have a story to tell of their lives, I bet not many have had perfect uneventful ones and have loved and lost parents, children, friends and lovers. I suppose it is what makes us who we are in the end.
ReplyDeleteIt is my dream to live by the sea too, the coast isn't far from here, but, oh, to go to sleep to the sound of the waves, wouldn't that be heaven?
You know, I sort of knew this might be your story before you told it, what a lovely person you have become and all those experiences have made you who you are. There will be a piece of heaven wherever you set up home I think and it has been lovely to see a little bit of the real you. Thanks for sharing, Betty x
ReplyDeleteHiya! I have given you a mention and a back link on my blog today. SueXXX
ReplyDelete