Tuesday, 15 October 2013

Of Palaces and Parliaments........

....what to do with some coveted time off and a pal on a dull and dreary Autumnal day? Should we fill the day with domestic trivia, wallpaper stripping or mind-numbingly awful daytime telly?....why no..... off to town and make like a tourist, of course, that's what we do, so let's go......
first stop......

....The Queen's Gallery which is attached to The Palace of Holyroodhouse (The Queen's Official Residence in Scotland - one of them, anyway!)but more about that later...in the meantime let's have a look around the Gallery...




... which is exhibiting some work by none other than Leonardo (Da Vinci, not DiCaprio and certainly not one of those Teenage Mutant Hero Turtle thingies) oh no, this is the real deal. Some of his anatomical drawings have turned up and are now being exhibited here, courtesy of The Royal Collection and I tell you, that man was an absolute GENIUS! Do you know that he discovered how the heart and its valves worked long before proper scientists did?!, mostly from studying how oxen hearts worked because of their closeness in form to the human heart.... and a lot more fascinating stuff like that but maybe you wouldn't find it as fascinating as I did so I'll just show you one of the dozens of prints that were featured.......
....isn't it amazing? You could call it the first ante-natal scan.....you've got to hand it to that Leonardo, the man had vision, 500 years before anyone else! It was mind-boggling to look at those prints and his handwriting on them (which he always did in mirror-image because he was left-handed)and not be moved by them. A most cultural way to spend a rainy day!

Then it was on to the Palace itself.........

....not bad for a bijoux-type pad, is it?

....through the front door (well, not really but that is one mighty fine door nevertheless!)....
....under the very regal-looking archway.....
.....and into the front hallway....where, I'm afraid I had to put my camera away - absolutely no pics allowed in a Royal Residence by order of a very big and burly military-type person bedecked in tartan from head to toe (keeps the REAL tourists happy!)so I wasn't about to argue with him and dutifully did as I was told.......but take my word for it......inside was stunning, especially the garret!  Once you visit the parts of the Palace which are opened up to the public, including the Throne Room - real thrones, not the 'wc' variety, you climb up 25 very steep stone steps to the top of the building and there you are in Mary Queen of Scots bedchamber! It's very dark and eery up there because they keep the shutters on the windows closed to protect the bedding (the bed is actually enclosed inside a glass case)which includes the most beautifully embroidered crewel-work bedspread - not an Ikea duvet cover to be found up here! Some of her jewellery and other artefacts were on display - I especially liked the tiny crocheted drawstring pouches with their minutae stitches, probably all done by candlelight too! ......then after a lovely coffee and ever-so-expensive scone in the Palace Cafe, off we went across the road......


.....but I'll leave that for another day. 
xxx

Thank You for Visiting. Really,really hope it was worth it for you because I love it that you pop-in. 
See You Soon.
xxxxxxxx






10 comments:

  1. Very interesting stuff!!! Love it!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post, thank you for taking the time to write it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is fascinating. I would love to go there. The DaVinci is incredible, I would enjoy that very much. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely tour...maybe you could become a tour guide! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed your naration, that Leonardo was certainly very before his time. I read recently also that in the Koran there is mention of the foetus and quite a bit of info about life inside the womb long before we thought this kind of science had been explored. I am very interested in anything science related but to have it in art form too - that's the kind of exhibition I wouldn't find boring at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree the man was a bonafide genius.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a great way to spend your day, with so much history to see. I think it would very hard to find a genius like Leonardo these days, i agree his works are amazing. You are lucky to have some lovely interesting places to visit just on your doorstep.. Thank you for your kind comment on my last post......xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How wonderful that you got to see the da Vinci drawings! The man was a marvel, although far from alone in that. We owe so much to enquiring minds, past and present :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it does us good to re-visit plaves that have become commonplace & try to see them with new eyes. how great you didn't just loll meaninglessly around the house. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello from Cornwall! Looking forward to our swap.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all of you lovely folk who take time to pass by and leave your lovely comments. I'm always humbled by your generosity of time and spirit. Haste Ye Back! x

Moving Day

...in Blogland.   My new home is here Hope you'll join me soon. xxx