Saturday, 9 November 2013

If this is Vintage.............

.....I must be positively prehistoric! Thought I'd have a gander around a 'Vintage Fair' while I was in Edinburgh the other week..............
... visiting my eldest son and my soon-to-be daughter-in-law. The Vintage Fair was being held in an old picture house (cinema) which I used to frequent back in the day, right next door to the Usher Hall ............
.......where this little chap is appearing soon.....
or if your tastes are a little more cultural.....

....what about this little chap? (I loved the artwork but unfortunately, the glass front also reflected quite a lot of the Sheraton Hotel right behind me!)...but I'm digressing so back to the cinema where I would go and see films by myself sometimes and wouldn't bat an eyelid about it....not sure if I could do that now! The times they-are-a-changing indeed. In fact, I distinctly remember going to see 'Funny Girl' there and crying into my Kia-Ora orange juice at the end when she sang this little ditty - boy, can that girl sing! Anyhoo, I digress again, back to the Vintage Fair which looked a lot like this once you got into the building - which I could have sworn still had that 'old cinema' smell!
 ....rows upon rows of 'vintage' gear which brought on an acute case of deja vu because I'm old and because I had worn almost everything there first time around! I mean, who didn't have in their possession a pair of these? ....
...oh, ok then, perhaps not but you almost would have been wearing....
....a nice piece of tan leather something or other, or what about....
something for your Vintage Man
.......or if that's too frou-frou for you, what about....a complete cover up from neck to knees with the good old-fashioned poncho!
I spotted this young lady who I thought did the vintage look proud, I loved her outfit but personally, I think that's where the 'vintage look' looks best, on the young. After all, if you've been there and done it once, why would you want to go back? Though there is one lady in Blogland who absolutely rocks the look - you may have heard of her - she goes by the name of Vintage Vixen and she is the epitome of Vintage Chic and looks fabulous always, no matter what she wears. 
As for me, I can almost hear the Marks and Spencer's elasticated waistbands beckoning from here!What about you, what would you say your 'style' was?
xxxOOOxxx
Hope you're all having a good weekend and for those of you in our chillier climes, Keep Warm.
Until next time
Much Love
xxx











8 comments:

  1. Looks like the kind of place I could spend hours in!! Didn't you love Funny Girl? And Funny Lady? And everything she was ever in????
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making a poncho for my daughter when they were all the rage! I have a feeling that they are coming back in....but I'm not the right age now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like a small flavour of vintage in my home decor, but not in what I wear, I try and avoid anything that I might have already worn a few decades ago!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, platform shoes, hankerchief patchwork hippy dippy skirts, skinny ribs, velvet coats, but I would happily wear it all again - I love a bit of vintage! It does look good on the young but us oldies know how to wear it well! Vintage Vixen is a lady who knows how to dress and finds amazing stuff, I sometimes visit her blog too. When I think though of the clothes I have thrown away over the years as 'old fashioned' I could cry! I could be rich if I had kept them, Bettyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so funny, good Nana. Ponchos are funny, too! I do not know what my style is. I think I may have a rather wonky style! I know that if I didn't have to get dressed for work, I'd wear A LOT of stretchy clothes on an everyday basis!
    Don't you LOVE Funny Girl? I remember when I saw it for the first time, too. It was for a birthday party and I was completely entranced. I did not want my little friends to talk to me or nudge me. I was so glued to the screen. I love Hello, Dolly, too. What a great post! YOU are full of life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, my style is no style at all. Comfort is my friend, a good pair of jeans and a nice roomy shirt, see I told you I had no style at all.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could wear more vintage clothing but I don't seem to be thin enough! And the nicest things are so expensive. I love the idea though. I doubt anything I've ever worn could be considered vintage yet but I did appreciate the fashions of my adolescence, during the "grunge era"; baggy jeans and a big sweater were very comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never gone to a vintage shop but I'm wondering why not as I love some of the clothes I can see in your photos. I had a poncho when I was about 5 and my mum found it recently. It's a teeny little thing. That was about 1969 and I'm sure I continued to love ponchos throughout the next decade.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all of you lovely folk who take time to pass by and leave your lovely comments. I'm always humbled by your generosity of time and spirit. Haste Ye Back! x

Moving Day

...in Blogland.   My new home is here Hope you'll join me soon. xxx