....let me explain...
Way back in the earlier months of the year (January to be precise), my boss persuaded me to enter my marmalade in this year's prestigious marmalade competition so not one to refuse a challenge and adhering to my New Year Resolutions of 'think outside the box and see where it leads' (and before I knew what the New Year really had in store for me!), I set about ordering the best marmalade oranges in the land and picking out the finest among them
before the actual work of turning them into something resembling an award-winning specimen could begin......
then when everything's been sliced,chopped, (I do all this by hand - although some folks use a 'Magimix' for the purpose - the blisters from chopping are an occupational hazard!)pulped and boiled to setting point, it's time to fill the jars with the amber nectar. Unfortunately, I don't have the pics of this part of the process but you can refer to last year's blog post about making marmalade if you really want to see what the fruits of my labour look like(so to speak)!
Anyway, after I had decided which categories I was entering the marmalade into |'First Timer', because it was the first time I'd entered a competition, not the first time I had made marmalade and 'Family Tree' because the age-old, tried and tested many,many times recipe came from my boss's dear Mother-in-Law who first taught me how to make it many years previously) off the jars went, dressed in their bubble-wrap finery to avoid any catastrophes, on their journey to await scrutiny by the WI judges, who wore white lab coats to carry out the judging - be afraid, be very afraid! Oh, and someone from Fortnum and Mason's was on the judging panel too because the top prize included having your marmalade for sale on their shelves!No pressure then?
Well, needless to say, after the jars departed, never to be seen again, life's events rather overtook any excitement about winning a marmalade competition so it was quite a shock and a very uplifting surprise when the lovely envelope enclosing the awards and my marks (which earned me a Bronze and a Certificate of Merit respectively) dropped through my letterbox a few weeks later. Ok, so I didn't win any major prizes but it was just as if I had and I was ecstatic to receive my 'diplomas' which, of course, are taking pride of place in my kitchen for all the world to see (told you I wasn't much of a boaster|!).
**************
Oh, and just to compensate for not having my jars of golden goodness on the shelves of a prominent and refined West End department store, my boss sent me a hamper filled with the most tantalising culinary tidbits, a few of which are shown below (and a couple of teatowels!).....
...this pudding was delicious...trust me!
....fancy a cuppa?
******
I quite enjoyed my 15 minutes of fame and of course, next year I'll be going for gold!
************
Many thanks for all your sweet comments on The Wedding Post. So glad you enjoyed the day too.
**********
'Til next time.
xxxxooOOooxxxx









Yea! So nice to be an actual winner! With prizes to boot...hearty congrats!
ReplyDeleteHooray for you, I bet yours was the Best!!! Hugs,
ReplyDeleteMeredith
Yay for you, Nana! I wish I could have a bit of your magic jam on my toast this morning!
ReplyDeleteWell done!!!!!!! You are so great to have entered this competition as it sounds as though it was a very serious one, so you did really well!! What a lovely boss you have for encouraging you and then for giving you such a great gift, it must be great to work with someone so lovely. I hope that you are enjoying eating your marmalade! xx
ReplyDeleteHmmmm...I am trying to post a comment but it is getting returned to me. What is up with that?
ReplyDeleteMeredith
Good for you! What an honor. You should be very proud.
ReplyDeleteMany congratulations and I don't blame you for showing it off, I certainly would. Just seen the wedding photos, they are lovely. None have got married or, apparently, intend to so I'm rather jealous.
ReplyDeleteGillx
How talented you are Nana..well done..x
ReplyDeleteGo girl! Well done, that is amazing! Jille xx
ReplyDeleteHow fabulous, you are a marmalade Queen! No wonder you are showing off your certificates.
ReplyDeleteI bought an elderly aunt a Fortnum and Masons hamper for Christmas the year before last - definitely one of my better decisions as she loved it.
Yay! Congratulations on your award winning marmalade!
ReplyDeleteS x
Woohoo, well done you.....how wonderfully exciting Anne........and that thoughtful hamper from you boss.....delish.
ReplyDeleteI love Marmalade, I've never made any, but must give it a try.
Hope you have a lovely weekend Anne,
Claire xx
Congratulations Anne.. Thrilled for you..
ReplyDeleteOn another note, thought of you the other day as I was buying some beautiful pure new wool, at a bargain price of course..x