.......who can now crochet a very large chain! (overnighters with Nana bring their rewards)......
....and my sister made this one, it was equally delicious, especially the thick butter icing...
....but the best birthday surprise for me came with the arrival of my BFF from her home in England to spend 10 days with me before she and her husband depart these shores to go and live in New Zealand. Their two daughters and one grandaughter live there and with the imminent arrival of new twin-grandaughters, they've decided to spend their retirement years together with their ever-growing family. In the meantime, we had a fabulous time together and for my birthday, my great friends spirited us away.....
....(in great style, we didn't need our Senior Railcards this time!)
....The Wallace Monument....
...and Stirling Castle.... to Dunblane Hydro
(Dunblane being very much in the news at the moment with the announcement of Andy Murray's wedding to be held in his very plush hotel, also in Dunblane).
.....where my fabulous friends even arranged for a bottle of Prosecco to be delivered to the room by a handsome waiter!
......the most delicious Banoffee Pie with Rum and Raisin ice cream in a filo parcel!!Can't tell you how delicious it was!
We all had a marvellous weekend and I was thoroughly spoiled rotten for my birthday.















Many happy returns to you both - I am glad you have had quality time with your friend before she emigrates, it must be very hard to say goodbye. Betty x
ReplyDeleteOh Happy, Happy Birthday for January dear Anne :-) I am so glad you were able to spend it with your friends ... looks like you all had a wonderful time together & a great celebration. Those cakes are making my mouth water too :-)
ReplyDeleteyes, you were spoiled!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful place for your friends to retire to....I know I would if I were 25 years younger. A terrific excuse for you to visit NZ.
Belated Happy Birthday Nana! glad you had a wonderful time..x
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun birthday you must have had. The polenta cake looks interesting; love dense cakes and that may be something I will have to google for a recipe.
ReplyDeleteThe trip looked like a memory maker. Happy, happy. And glad the little granddaughter is learning to crochet at her granny's knees.
Wow it looks like you had a lovely time. Lots of empty glasses means a good time had by all!
ReplyDeleteYou are the cutest Scottish friend EVER! I love the way your friends treated you for your birthday! You are fun to treat, I think! I'm glad you had such a happy time with your friend. I hope she LOVES living in New Zealand!
ReplyDeleteOh, Anne! I hope you are safe from any further colds and flu and that cake comes your way at least three times per week until summer time! Then four times per week! Sending heaps of love your way!
Wow, Anne, that's definitely how to celebrate in style ... hic ... and cake, cake and more cake - what more could a girl wish for (apart from bubbles of course). Glad you had a fab time x
ReplyDeleteGreat reminder of the past month. Now we can look forward to the next month with all its beauty......xx
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthdays!! What great times! xx
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthdays to you!!!!!!! I am so glad you got to spend 10 glorious days together. Have you booked your trip to go visit her yet?
ReplyDeleteHugs to you,
Meredith
Just catching up with your news. Glad you have a new project and feeling sad for you losing your friend to far away shores.
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling well and looking forward to Spring coming - did I see snowdrops on a post further down? Lovely x