My postings are a little erratic. A little like my life at the moment but who wants to hear about that??!! I must do something about all of these issues.
In the meantime, my Boss thought that it would be a good idea for me to enter the World Marmalade Championships again this year, on account that I had some degree of success last time ....
.... so armed with a ton of Seville Oranges....
...a very sharp knife and lots of jam sugar, I set to the task with great gusto, chopping and weighing and boiling (well, as much as I could possibly muster for the beginning of January!)....
.....but this time, instead of just submitting one jar, I thought I would push the envelope a bit and enter for 3 categories altogether. So, first category was just ordinary Seville Orange Marmalade which is relatively easy to achieve, then next I chose the 'Merry Marmalade' category and what could provide a good deal of merriment but a dash or two of Grand Marnier (well at 40% proof, it's bound to)...
then for the third category, I chose 'Marmalade with a Twist' whereupon I had a lightbulb moment and decided to invent Chocolate Marmalade but when I Googled the subject, I discovered that Hotel Chocolat makes it also - they must have heard about my invention - but that didn't put me off so I made my own version, boiling up a pan of marmalade as normal then grating some fabulous dark, organic chocolate with a hint of orange into it on the rolling boil and waited until it tasted divine, which I did and it does. So there we have it, all three jars parcelled up....
and off to a very posh gaff indeed....
to await the discerning judges' approval (though with the awards gathering pace each year and now with thousands of people entering worldwide, I'm not confident of winning anything but the entry money £10 per jar, is going to very good causes nationwide so it's worth it in the end)....
xoxoxoxoxoxo
In other news, I joined my first MKAL (Mystery Knit-along, for the uninitiated, which means knitting to a pattern which is provided in weekly or monthly increments so you don't know how it will look until you've finished!) which is Ambah O'Brien's 'Hale-Bopp' pattern and you should check out some of the other projects, they're stunningly gorgeous. I'm using some lovely Alpaca yarn which was gifted to me at Christmas time by my nearly-niece in New Zealand and I've teamed it with some Rowan Cashsoft DK in a Pretty Pink and some Bergeres de France in Charcoal Grey. These choices are all from my stash but some ladies have really spent large amounts of money on their yarn. One day I might be able to do that. I'm happy with my choices for now and I'm learning a few new knitting techniques, e.g. Turkish Cast On, Slip Stitch, etc. I better not give too much away. It's supposed to be a mystery after all!
....em, in case you're wondering, I don't own a wool winder, so have to resort to the old 'wind-your-yarn-around-the-nearest-bamboo-footstool' method. It works for me anyway!
and the best bit is, you can binge-watch on your favourite-of-the-moment Netflix programme
I'm living my life vicariously in Stars Hollow, after all who wouldn't like a little Luke Danes in their lives?? All those in favour, say 'Aye'!!
xoxoxoxo
That's it for now, Gentle People, thanks for getting this far down the page. Be back soon, hopefully.
xoxoxo
In the meantime, my Boss thought that it would be a good idea for me to enter the World Marmalade Championships again this year, on account that I had some degree of success last time ....
.... so armed with a ton of Seville Oranges....
...a very sharp knife and lots of jam sugar, I set to the task with great gusto, chopping and weighing and boiling (well, as much as I could possibly muster for the beginning of January!)....
.....but this time, instead of just submitting one jar, I thought I would push the envelope a bit and enter for 3 categories altogether. So, first category was just ordinary Seville Orange Marmalade which is relatively easy to achieve, then next I chose the 'Merry Marmalade' category and what could provide a good deal of merriment but a dash or two of Grand Marnier (well at 40% proof, it's bound to)...
and off to a very posh gaff indeed....
to await the discerning judges' approval (though with the awards gathering pace each year and now with thousands of people entering worldwide, I'm not confident of winning anything but the entry money £10 per jar, is going to very good causes nationwide so it's worth it in the end)....
xoxoxoxoxoxo
In other news, I joined my first MKAL (Mystery Knit-along, for the uninitiated, which means knitting to a pattern which is provided in weekly or monthly increments so you don't know how it will look until you've finished!) which is Ambah O'Brien's 'Hale-Bopp' pattern and you should check out some of the other projects, they're stunningly gorgeous. I'm using some lovely Alpaca yarn which was gifted to me at Christmas time by my nearly-niece in New Zealand and I've teamed it with some Rowan Cashsoft DK in a Pretty Pink and some Bergeres de France in Charcoal Grey. These choices are all from my stash but some ladies have really spent large amounts of money on their yarn. One day I might be able to do that. I'm happy with my choices for now and I'm learning a few new knitting techniques, e.g. Turkish Cast On, Slip Stitch, etc. I better not give too much away. It's supposed to be a mystery after all!
....em, in case you're wondering, I don't own a wool winder, so have to resort to the old 'wind-your-yarn-around-the-nearest-bamboo-footstool' method. It works for me anyway!
and the best bit is, you can binge-watch on your favourite-of-the-moment Netflix programme
I'm living my life vicariously in Stars Hollow, after all who wouldn't like a little Luke Danes in their lives?? All those in favour, say 'Aye'!!
And in other news, I had another birthday but let's just leave it at that, for now!
That's it for now, Gentle People, thanks for getting this far down the page. Be back soon, hopefully.
xoxoxo


Hello Anne, what a lovely post !! I do wish you all the best with your marmalade entries ... that choccy one sounds so divine. Wish I could reach into my screen & taste test. Your knitting wools look beautiful & soft. Belated Birthday Wishes to yooouuuuu x x x x
ReplyDeleteHello sweet friend! I love Stars Hollow, too!
ReplyDeleteI feel sure you'll win a marmalade prize!
Love love love ❤️ ❤❤
Your jam experiment with chocolate is intriguing, and the Seville oranges must be just the ticket for your entries as they look delicious. Good, good luck on getting the winning vote.
ReplyDeleteYour binging on Netflix is perfectly acceptable, especially with yarn in hand. Happy belated birthday, Nana!
My fingers are tightly crossed for the Marmalade Championship. Very exciting. When will you find out?
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of the MKAL, but I just and so manage to create something when I know what I'm knitting. I am, therefore, in awe that you can do that and watch TV at the same time too.
Belated Birthday wishes to you and have a lovely weekend. Xx
There she is! I was wondering if you'd ever post again. Happy Birthday Nana.
ReplyDeleteYou are obviously incredibly talented and I hope your marmalade wins and your crafting turns out really well x
Have been missing your posts. What a fabulous place the marmalade gaff is - and you are so definitely going to be a winner. Not heard of Gilmore girls, but am loving Karma Hospital which has just started, speaking of karma, hope life stops kicking you in the teeth for a bit and you have some good karma coming your way. Betty x
ReplyDeleteI do hope that your birthday was a good one. All that marmalade sounds delicious, is Paddington Bear a judge or his palate not sophisticated enough? He certainly has the experience. Good luck whom ever the judge may be. xx
ReplyDeleteFirst Happy Birthday!!!! I think the marmalade looks delicious. We do want to hear about everything, well at least I do. I miss you when you are not here. As for the Gilmore Girls, I am now on season 3, not having watched it while it was on TV. I love it and want to immediately move to Stars Hollow. It is a nice break from all the disasters going on in my country right now.
ReplyDeleteOrange marmalade is my favourite, and Grand Marnier is made in my small town.
ReplyDeleteHope to meet you at EYF. I will stay at Travelodge Waterloo Central
So pleased you found me again, Nana. I did come looking for you too, but not since the New Year.
ReplyDeleteWe were in Seville in November and the streets really are full of orange trees. Good luck with the competition. I'll be coming back regularly to read more, now I know you're back xx