So, on the second leg of our journey to the Highlands of Scotland, we stopped to visit Dunrobin Castle, country pile of the Dukes of Sutherland (the present Duke and Duchess live elsewhere, obviously to avoid paying vast amounts of council tax!) and which is a very big castle indeed. It was originally built as a standard, common-or-garden castle but later restyled and re-built to emulate the French Chateaux model. Worth bearing in mind next time you want to make improvements to your own homes! The gardens were spectacular and stretched for eternity. I particularly liked the fact that beyond the last line of trees in the background of the above pic, one could easily step on to one's own private beach! Every home should have one, n'est pas??
A balcony fit for any visiting Juliet.
The back of the building.
Walt Disney would have been so proud of this silhouette!

The orchard (well, one of them).
And here is the impressive gateway to your own personal beach.
Hope you've enjoyed your wee tour of the outside. Next time, we'll go inside and see how the other half live and yes, there was tartan carpet throughout the entire place!
Thank You for Visiting with me.
xoxoxoxoxo
Amazing! I can't believe how big it is. I can't wait to see the inside! ☺️
ReplyDeleteWonderful Anne .... yes indeedy = one should always have ones very own beach. And a gardener to look after all those grounds I think! Your photos are amazing. What a great weekend you had !
ReplyDeleteIt is a very beautiful castle. I sort of had my own private beach the other day but it had been Lily emptying her bucket of sand in the kitchen!
ReplyDeleteI'm looking forward to seeing the inside now. X
Can you even imagine living there? It is an amazing structure and the gardens are beautiful. We need a few castles over here!
ReplyDeleteVery beautiful, just imagine the grandeur of a day at the beach in times gone by - I bet they took half the house through the gates with them! very pretty pictures - your photography is very good you know.
ReplyDelete