So my younger sister says, 'Let's take a slow train to Inverness, let's get away from it all and have a long weekend in the Highlands' so I say, 'Yes, that's sounds like a plan' so off the three of us toddled (my sister's partner came along too, to carry our bags, just kidding!)on a bright Friday morning, a couple of weeks ago and set about our quest. Leaving the city behind (the station was filling up with 'hen' and 'stag' revellers all ready for a fun-packed weekend and some of their outfits were very interesting. If you look very closely at the first pic, you can just about see a figure clad in bright pink, sporting a fashionable blonde wig and if that person could turn around, you would see that he was also the proud owner of a very 'Hipster' beard, matched only in quantity by his very hairy chest which was trying its best to escape from the neckline of his party frock!! His diamante tiara was divine too!
All aboard now and slowly passing through some pretty stations along the way......
....until eventually the snow-capped beauty of the Cairngorm Mountains rolls into view....
along with some other pretty scenery.....
...until the greenery scenery turns various hues of blue.....
....and at last, journey's end....
....to the pretty little town of Dornoch.....
which was put on the map by the nuptials of Madonna and Guy Ritchie a while and one divorce ago but that fact notwithstanding, it's rather a lovely church...
.....these were the 'best' chairs all covered in tapestry which was beautifully done. This one was my favourite.
This was rather a lovely tribute to a rather Royal couple who died within days of each other from pneumonia and they were subsequently buried together in Edinburgh at Holyrood Palace. They must have been very popular among their subjects judging by the inscription.
I liked these candlesticks!
..and someone must have forgotten to take down the Easter Tree which was still in evidence.
Lucky Woman's Guild, a whole stained glass window to themselves.
Then we popped into a cute little antique shop further along the street and I was quite taken with some of this pottery in the window. I wonder who thought up the quotes on them?
More of the same trip another time but for now hope you are all well and enjoying the advent of Summertime or Autumn, depending on where in the world you are. May blue skies abound for everyone.
xoxoxoxoxo
My friend it is so good to hear from you. The trip looks fabulous, the scenery is gorgeous. Hope you have a great week.
ReplyDeleteThank You, Meredith. It was a nice weekend.
DeleteYour getaway was so nice! I love the photos of the church. What a pretty land you live in, NGG!
ReplyDeleteThank you Pom, the church was indeed splendid.
DeleteWhat a lovely trip. It looks like you got lucky with the weather and the scenery is just beautiful. What a wonderful idea of your sister. X
ReplyDeleteThank you Jules. Yes, my sister normally has some cuckoo ideas but this was one of her 'normal' ones!
DeleteBeautiful photos & scenery dear Anne ... you sure do live in such a wonderful country. That church looks wonderful. Look forward to part two :-)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Julie. People say Scotland is a lot like NZ. I think it may be so.
DeleteGoshI seem to have missed a whole week of posts! I love the church. The beautiful pottery is very familiar, but I didn't expect it to be in Scotland! my grandmother had a lot of it with these delightful quotes and it was used as daily tableware, I found a little pot last year in a charity shop in which I keep my paint brushes. So lovely to see you are having a nice break and am loving your posts. this comment should probably have gone on the last of your posts, but I am catching up in reverse order!
ReplyDelete