So, a few weeks' ago, one of my daughters-in-law commented how much she would love a couple of cashmere items as part of her staple Winter wardrobe so with this in mind, a little lightbulb went on in my bonce and I remembered about a company I had heard of which operates like this.....you send them your old cashmere cast-offs (yes, I can hear you laughing from here!) and they in return, send you a pair of fingerless mittens made from the recycled cashmere. You can't choose which colour you would like so it's a bit of a lucky dip and you basically have to take what you get. Well, just let me explain that I certainly do NOT have a wardrobe full of cashmere 'cast-offs' but I did happen to have a couple of suitably awful cashmere jumpers/sweaters because I know a charity shop who sells cashmere really cheaply (think Argyle pattern, think neon colours, think 'that colour/style is so not me') unlike some of the major thrift stores who have 'cottoned on' to the cashmere craze and are pricing accordingly, plus an old cashmere cardigan that my boss just happened to be disposing of (less the buttons which she made me remove and keep!). So I bundled them all up and sent them off and a couple of days later, hey presto......

...a neat little cardboard box popped through my letterbox and these beauties were sitting inside.
I was very happy with the colour choices and the mittens are beautifully made from their recycled cashmere. Now all I have to do is decide which recipient gets which colour!If I have one little peeve, it would be that the postage and packing charges weigh-in at £3 but when the package arrived, I noticed that it was able to be posted as a large letter at a much cheaper cost. Do you think I'm being too 'Scottish' about the charges? Be honest, I can take it!


Then I've always fancied owning a tweed jacket but have never been able to find anything which suited my taste. They always seemed too masculine or too 'Lady of the Manor' but recently I was in a local charity shop (surprise, surprise!) when I happened upon this pretty little jacket originating from Marks and Spencer Per Una line and what's more, was only £3.99 so naturally, me being Scottish and mean, snapped it up. The pretty little brooch with the Robin on it was gifted to me by my pal, Betty and it looks perfect against the colour of the tweed.
This is my little bit of Fair Isle.....I shall recount its story next time.
Thank you to my 'crew' who popped along to this here blog and left your sweetest of sweet comments. You really are very bright spots indeed in an otherwise dark and gloomy time presently.
Much Love.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
I love the cashmere mittens idea - if I find a cashmere cast off in a charity shop, will ask you for the details! how very clever everyone wins. I had forgotten the little brooch, so glad you kept it - the jacket is great, has a feminine touch due to the pockets. I love charity shop type posts. I have been finding some lovely jewellery in our locals, will do a post sometime maybe. ttfn. p.s. Very Scottish but not mean - I would be annoyed at paying over the odds on postage too.
ReplyDeleteThanks Betty. If you Google 'Turtle Doves' it will send you to their website where all the details can be found under 'Recycle Your Jumper', or something like that!You can buy other stuff from them too, like scarves, cowls, hats, etc. Hey, why don't we have a 'Charity Shop Thursday' type post then other peeps can join in with what they've bought that week? You can start it, I'll join in!!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteWhat a cool thing! I love your find, too. That IS the perfect jacket!
ReplyDeleteThe fair isle is lovely as well. YOU are a crafty gal, NGG!
That is worth knowing Nana. Sorry if times are dark and gloomy....I will say snap to that. Love your bargains x
ReplyDeleteThat is such a lovely gift and I love the whole upcycling idea but they really should charge what they pay for postage!
ReplyDelete