Sunday, 2 December 2012

Singin' and Swappin' and Gettin' Ready For Christmas.....

....no, don't worry, wasn't me doing the singing (I'm barred from singing in public for evermore after my last stint at karaoke, don't ask!) but the lovely folk of the Scottish Opera whose latest offering was 'La Traviata', the contemporary version,sung in English. Wasn't too keen on it at first but I soon got used to the modern look of it and I won't give away any spoilers but the leading lady didn't half make a meal of her last scene - I wanted her to hurry up so I could get home!(howling gales and sideways rain make very unpleasant driving companions). I was in complete awe of those voices....and I kept wondering how they remembered their words....there were a lot of them!

As for the swapping, I'm taking part in the Xmas Cracker Swap organised by Tracy (details on sb) and I've been lucky enough to be paired with the very talented Kandipandi. The idea is to fill a cardboard tube (kitchen towel size) with Christmassy things, handmade and shop bought and it's quite surprising just how much you can fit in! Hope she'll be happy with her Xmas Cracker, when I eventually send it - I keep changing my mind about what to put in!

I was feeling quite optimistic about Christmas coming..... last week..... but now that the page on the calendar has turned to December, I think I may just be slightly panicking and I'm not even doing the meal this year! I've been invited to my youngest son and his new wife's home on the day - at last, all those years of slogging away in the kitchen at Christmas time is finally paying off and I've been relinquished of all responsibility for the turkey! It's a wonderful feeling, I can tell you.
Here is the 'bride' on her wedding day back in July...

How are your Christmas preps coming along?
Have a good week Everyone, keep warm, snow's coming!
xxx




7 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home safely. My swap is ready to post too and I kept changing my mind about what to put in! My partner likes Scandinavian style like me so we seem to be likeminded. Your daughter in law's pictures are beautiful, she had a very good photographer. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nana.....love the new look to the blog. The bride looks beautiful and I am jealous of two things...that you have been to the opera and that you have so many wooden cotton reels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! thanks for the reminder. I had all good intentions about making my own crackers this year, and had forgotten. Will get working on them this evening!

    blessings xx

    ps stunning bride!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's ages since I've been to the opera - must be 20 years or more. Now I've written that, I feel quite sad it's been so long, especially since I love singing myself. Love my musicals but have let opera slip at bit. I remember Mum taking me to see Carmen when I was a little girl - it was fabulous.

    Loving your new look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She was a lovely bride......I'm quite interested in what went on Karaoke night though......hmmmm.
    take care Momma, love Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am doing Christmas dinner again this year (3rd year now) as its too much for Nan and the flies at her house are horrendous! I dread it as its still very much dictated by Nan and my inlaws. I just sit back and smile sweetly and know in my mind that after Nan passes I wont be doing it their way anymore. The kids and I have our own little traditions for the buildup to Christmas but I have to say Christmas lunch is an ordeal and its always so hot!! Baa Humbug .....Ha Ha! The bride is gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Christmassy blog feel, you've inspired me to get on and jazz mine up a bit for the season. I love not doing the christmas dinner, I go off to my brothers with my folks. It's one of the perks of being single :-) I normally take something along though, like the wine. I saw the cracker swap but was too late, it sounded a real fun one to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all of you lovely folk who take time to pass by and leave your lovely comments. I'm always humbled by your generosity of time and spirit. Haste Ye Back! x

Moving Day

...in Blogland.   My new home is here Hope you'll join me soon. xxx