Thursday, 21 April 2011

Thrifting Thursday......

.....in the kitchen...
.....so, you know that nasty limescale that can accumulate at the bottom of your best glassware - want to know how to get rid of? Eggs....yes, that`s right.....or rather crushed eggshells

.....in the bottom of your jug or vase, alongwith a little water and leave for an hour or two....rinse it all out and dry to a sparkling shine...
....and not a chemical in sight!....
.....and you know when you get those awkward greasy food stains on your best t-shirt or blouse, well nothing shifts them like some white spirit dabbed on the spot, then wash as normal - but a little word of warning, it will smell a tad so best not to mix the marked clothing with other stuff. However, once you hang your item out to dry, the smell will vanish in the fresh air, promise....and also, you can use it on almost any material and best of all, it won`t stain or bleach....
......and you know when life hands you lemons....

....well, don`t just make lemonade....cut some in half and rub the inside of your oven door all over, wipe with a damp cloth and buff dry and...hey presto, clean and shiny and smelling all lemony lovely, although if it`s very badly marked with baked on food, you may have to turn to a thick paste of bicarbonate of soda and lemon juice to get the job done.... you can also swipe around the inside of your wine or drinking glasses, rinse and dry for a sweet-smelling,no soapy residue sheen. Doing the same with your microwave, if you own one, keeps it fresh and clean inside too. Also, half a lemon left in your fridge will absorb any strong odours and keep it smelling sweet (at least until you get around to cleaning it!).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
And now that you`ve saved some time,energy and hopefully, money from everyone`s inspirational hints and tips, you can wander around the garden centre and pick up some stunning plants and shrubbery (provided no-one you know has any to give away, of course!) for your garden or containers, this Easter Bank Holiday Weekend!......
.....like a tremendous Tree Peony....
....or a Magnificent Magnolia....

.....or a True Blue Himalayan Mountain Poppy...
.....or two....


.....or just pick yourself some Bonny Bluebells (preferably from a garden, not the woods!).....

.....so, whatever your pleasure or however you`re spending it, I hope the Easter Bunny is good to all of you lovely Bloggy Chickadees.

 Happy,Happy Easter .....and remember, NEVER put all your eggs in one basket!
xxx


A HUGE Thanks to Betty over at http://mrsyappydog.blogspot.com/ for hosting this very helpful and interesting Thrifty Week and Swap - have a look at the names on her sidebar - you`ll find loads of lovely ladies all offering fabulous ways to Get Thrifty.....go on, you know you want to......






11 comments:

  1. Momma you are a fountain of great ideas I love lemons and now I can clean with them who knew!
    and eggs I have this problem bad, amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - thanks for some really good ideas - I didn't know you can put white spirit on clothes - we have resorted to bleach so many times with disastrous results so will give the white spirit a try next time. Bettyx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! Will definitely have to try out the crushed egg shells and white spirit ones. The lemon for the frige may be useful too! Will have to write them down when I get home so I remember! Lovely photos too, I loooove blue poppys - they are so pretty! Have a fantastic easter weekend! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The eggs thing? brilliant tip.....what a wonder woman you are missus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy Easter hunny bunny, love Lucey xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot for the brilliant tip of the eggshells (I have tons that I put on the compost pile), I never knew how to get rid of this nasty yucky limescale deposit !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for your kind comments on my blog! Lovely flowers...

    xo

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. the eggshell tip is pure brilliance! i don't suffer from limescale since moving across the pond but one day when i am back residing in old blighty i will be sure to remember this :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Blue Poppies!! WOW :-) Love the magnolia too, one of my favourites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! And I just love looking at your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. top tips Nana Go-Go!! I'm a vingegar girl myself, can't beat it for 100 and 1 uses!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all of you lovely folk who take time to pass by and leave your lovely comments. I'm always humbled by your generosity of time and spirit. Haste Ye Back! x

Moving Day

...in Blogland.   My new home is here Hope you'll join me soon. xxx