Monday, 7 September 2015

Up, Up and Away Part II....

So, did you guess yet? Of course you did. That big aeroplane was indeed the inimitable Concorde. She's been 'parked' at my local museum for the last 12 years and this is the first time I've been to see her!! Sometimes it takes me ages to get around to doing things.

Her wing span was very impressive.

but I felt that what she made up for in speed, she very definitely lacked in space inside. Imagine being crammed into that confined space for the duration of your flight to New York - Economy Class, of course. The First Class compartment was closed off to visitors but from where I was standing, it looked quite impressive!

This is the speed to height ratio which Concorde flew at and apparently, she was so fast you could see the curve of the earth and the difference between night and day (the black line around the earth which normally can only be seen from space) from such a very high vantage point.

Here's the hub of the action. The cockpit which really was very small and through the front windscreen, you can see the incomparable long and pointed nose of this magnificent flying machine. 

The overhead light above the Navigator's table looked rather eerie.

As far as I could see, this was the one and only loo (toilet) in Economy Class. I bet the First Class amenities were much more luxurious!

 Supersonic nose!
 A little tribute from the last Concorde Captain. How sad he must have been when she suffered that horrendous crash and was taken out of commission.
 Impressive tyres on those wheels!
 Then we paid a visit to the Boeing 707 (well, actually only half-an-aeroplane!) which was the height of aviation fashion back in the 60's. She had quite a few VIP's onboard in those days. The menu below was offered to a Very Important Person indeed.

 ... of course, Rock Royalty used this mode of transport when they visited the various corners of the Globe. You can't see it clearly but the Stewardess is holding a giant comb over George's head - he looks less than impressed about that, wouldn't you say?
How glamourous were 'Stewardesses' back then?

...but maybe their work stations weren't so glamourous! Very smart uniforms though.
***
A most enjoyable way to spend a Sunny Sunday. 
What have you been up to on the weekends?
Give me all your news, I love to read about it.

****

5 comments:

  1. Very fun visit to the museum. Of course those economy seats were all crammed together. Hugs to you, Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nana. I saw that beautiful bird fly over once or twice and thought how gorgeous she was...and I don't even like flying! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. It's a new museum in me and I'm building up a to-visit list. Where is this museum? Think I could easily persuade my family to visit Concorde.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend won a trip on one of the first concorde flights all those years ago and was on tv boarding it! I was envious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that there were different classes on Concord! I assumed that since you were paying so much you all got 1st class. Shows what I know!! Looks as though it was a very interesting visit. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all of you lovely folk who take time to pass by and leave your lovely comments. I'm always humbled by your generosity of time and spirit. Haste Ye Back! x

Moving Day

...in Blogland.   My new home is here Hope you'll join me soon. xxx