Monday, 26 July 2010

NEW SHOES AND A BATTLE!

Well, we got them...no, not the lovely red patent ones that everyone liked because they didn`t have her size but she`ll be able to get them next time (in a few weeks?) hopefully. So we got the lovely little navy blue ones with pink flowers! She was delightful in the shoe shop and when we came out with her wearing the New Shoes, she kept stopping and looking down at her feet! In the Coffee Shop afterwards, she actually pulled up her trouser leg and pointed at the shoes to let everyone see them!Anyhoo, enough with the `Nana Bragging`! - sorry I`m beginning to sound like a real `Nana Bore` - can`t help meself!
Rubbish pic because we couldn`t get her to stand still long enough!

Now on to the Battle! In my hometown (I haven`t lived there for a very long time but it`s still the place where I grew up) there was a Battle fought between the armies of Bonnie Prince Charlie (the Jacobites) and General Sir John Cope (the Redcoats) on 21st September 1745. The Prince won! To commemorate the Battle, a Tapestry has been commissioned and created by a team of volunteers from across the world. The tapestry measures 104 metres in length (longer than the Bayeaux) and each panel depicts the fortunes and the journey from France of Bonnie Prince Charlie as he raised his army and marched on Edinburgh, culminating in the furious Battle of Prestonpans. Today was the unveiling of the completed Tapestry and I was lucky enough to be invited to attend the preview before it goes on tour to all the places the Prince visited before rousing his troops to attend the Battle. What a marvellous sight it is. The needlework is stunning (each volunteer had to commit to at least 100 hours of stitching!) and the enthusiasm each of them has shown for the task in hand is overwhelming. I hope you`ll enjoy it as much as I did, although the pics aren`t great - I really MUST buy a new camera! - and hope you enjoyed your history lesson too!

A Redcoat ....boo!

The Prince raises his Troops.

A Very Fierce Highlander!Yaay!!!


The Lord Provost of Edinburgh boarding Charlie`s ship to tell him to go back to France. boo!

The followers of George II try and tell the Prince to go `home` to France but he tells them he is home ..in Scotland.

The Redcoats march to battle.

A Lady of the times - I like her hat!

Charlie`s followers swear allegiance at the Mercat Cross in Edinburgh.

And a very blurry pic of the Prince himself and Flora McDonald! I introduced myself to him and he was very nice, though a bit taller than I remembered him!

And here endeth the History Lesson.
(hope I haven`t bored you too much - please tell me to shut up if I do - welcome constructive criticism!)

10 comments:

  1. Nifty history lesson! :-)

    And I wanted to thank you for that awesome barn pic you sent me, too. I love it!

    Have a wonderful Tuesday!
    Hugs,
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shoes and you're not a nana bore but a proud nana! Love the embroidery panels, very interesting. I love the new look blog as well, you have been busy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Nana! You make me hoot with laughter! Love the shoes! I can still remember the excitement of New Shoes as a child. They always felt so skippy and springy! The tapestry is amazing. All that work. I love the design and the colours as well. Thanks for sharing. Never boring Nana. Love, Amanda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great. I still haven't seen the Bayeaux yet. One day maybe.
    gillx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those shoes are lovely!!! And what a great honor to be able to go view the tapestry before it goes on tour. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a lovely blog! i really enjoyed reading it.
    yes i did enjoy the history lesson and the pictures are just great. thank you for sharing.
    and no you are not nana bore you sound like nana fun. also the history lesson wasn't boring you made it very exciting and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning to you...
    Thank you so much for using my designs on your blog. Your blog looks lovely. Those are some of my favorites. Thank you for letting me visit your blogspot. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I've just found your delightful blog via "Are we nearly there yet?" Oh how well I remember getting new shoes as a child. I went through a phase when I would only wear red ones! My Mum despaired at me, as I would rather have no new shoes than some in the 'wrong' colour. I must have been a right little madam. SueXXX

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again! I keep getting an error message when I try to become a follower of your blog. SueXXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still do that now when I get new shoes..!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all of you lovely folk who take time to pass by and leave your lovely comments. I'm always humbled by your generosity of time and spirit. Haste Ye Back! x

Moving Day

...in Blogland.   My new home is here Hope you'll join me soon. xxx