Thursday, 24 July 2014

Up Close and Personal........

........with a chicken!
.....This little hen is the last remaining survivor in the brood of 8 where I work.....the rest having fallen foul (pun intended) to Foxie Loxie who is indeed a sly old specimen, having worked out how to manoeuvre over and around the electric fence which was installed at great expense (my boss's, not mine!)and which was meant to keep the Hen House a safe haven for the Girls and their Rooster. Unfortunately, Reynard won out again (third time this year so far)so this lonely little chickadee has become somewhat feral and has taken to following me around the garden as I tend to the fruit-picking......
....redcurrants this week, the juice is dripping through the muslin as we speak....pics of jelly soon.......
....you can just see her hiding amongst the leaves...... 
....but she scurries away if I get too close......obviously camera-shy!...
....inspecting the courgettes for wayward worms......bye bye lonely little hen, until tomorrow, here's hoping.......
....on the way home, I found a cute new shop .....it sells vintagey and recycled/upcycled stuff, hence its name.....


....I loved this little tea chest turned table and do you remember 'hen' baskets? I liked this one painted white and filled with flowers.... 


 .....I love where I live....we have big skies and are surrounded by lots of agricultural land .....makes for a pretty landscape on a perfectly still day......and one which I never tire of looking at, except on the bleakest of winter days when the sky is dark and brooding and I can't wait to get home to be cosy and warm but hopefully those days are not imminent and we can continue basking in and soaking up this glorious sunshine and Mediterranean-like heat for at least a few more days!Pretty please :-)
**********
Have fun in the sun all you Lovely People.
xxxXXXoooXXXxxx

11 comments:

  1. That looks like a fabulous shop!! Your garden is looking great as well. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is good Nana......and that header pic is so sweet...where are those lovely lanterns hung?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little chicken is sweet - my brother used to work on a farm where the owner treated some of her chickens like pets, they would sit on her knee and be stroked and cuddled. Maybe yours wants a cuddle? she must be lonely. The new shop looks interesting, I like that tea crate too, these things have become so sought after, think you should treat yourself. I am on a few days off now pottering and painting, walking in the woods and swimming. Betty x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nana! Please email me and tell me about your job. It sounds so charming!
    I love the contentment in your writing voice when you write about where you live. It makes me feel as if all is well.
    Jellies? Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky lady with those red currants, b****y black birds stripped my bush even with a net over it.
    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little hen there :-) She looks to be a real little character. That new shop looks amazing - I just love shops like that with all sorts of interesting upcycled things in them - they inspire me :-) Happy Weekend to you Anne x0x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh p.s. sorry but forgot to say ... LOVE the new header too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dark and brooding skies are beautiful in their own way. Poor Mrs, Hen, I hope that Foxy can be prevented for another venture in the hen house.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like hearing about your days. The new header you made looks happy, happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sadly we are down to 3 hens now after rescuing 6 at the beginning of this year. Don't know why it is,but battery hens don't seem to live that long. We have been lucky that Mr fox hasn't taken them, but by what i hear from my son who lives in London they have taken up residence in his garden,( the last head count was a family of 6) which to me is very scary.
    Regarding my dried chamomile like you i prefer to buy it for drinking. Thank you for your kind comment on my last post.......xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's years since I made redcurrant jelly. I think a quick trip to the PYO here may be in order now you've reminded me what a good idea it is.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks to all of you lovely folk who take time to pass by and leave your lovely comments. I'm always humbled by your generosity of time and spirit. Haste Ye Back! x

Moving Day

...in Blogland.   My new home is here Hope you'll join me soon. xxx