Anyway, I was struck by how tiny all the garments were, I'd always thought of her as big and buxom! Then I remembered about something that reminded me of her basques which I'd won in a raffle a few years ago, so I brushed away some more cobwebs (Miss Haversham's got nothing on me!) on top of my wardrobe until I eventually found it......
...ok, I'd better explain that the raffle prize was a bespoke item of your choice, handmade by a lady who makes....Boned Corsets!! All made up to your own specifications,measurements and colours.....so I chose.....
....some lovely pink satin for the lining.....
...and of course, no self-respecting corset would be complete without lots of feathers!...........and some fabulous beading.....
....more feathers!....
.....a low-ish cut neckline.....
...and even more beads!.....And there we have the most beautiful basque you ever did see....well, I liked it at least!
I have to say, though, that I've never actually been brave enough to be seen in public wearing this beautiful piece of work - ladies of a certain age and all that! - (nor in private for that matter, thanks very much), my sister said I looked like a funky chicken when I tried it on....so my dressmaker's dummy will have the privilege of wearing it for a while to show it off (she's the only one in the house with a waistline at the moment!)and be admired for the hours of creative work which went into making it.....it really is a piece of art in itself......hope you like it too.
.....to be continued....
Happy Mother's Day
xxx











Header is big but not in your face nice colours and wooliness. How lovely to own your bespoke corset - even if you don't wear it, something special and pretty - displaying it on your tailors dummy is a lovely idea. Nice pic of your mum, hope you had a great mothers day - Betty x
ReplyDeleteAw Nana...you should wear the basque...even now and again just doing the dishes or something....and the Marily clothes are tiny aren't they? ps the header photo is ... quite large.......but don't know how you change it .. sorry.
ReplyDeleteI think the dress dummy is very fortunate to wear such an amazing piece of art. I think the header is fine, don't fret over it. Hope you were appreciated as well on Mother's Day.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Meredith
Header picture is great - I have no idea how to make it any smaller though!
ReplyDeleteAnd the corset is FAB. Displaying it on a dummy is probably the best idea [that is what I would do if it were mine, as I cannot think of any 'public' occasion when it wold be appropriate apparel - and to be honest, the feathers might make me sneeze, which would ruin any 'private' moments!]
I LOVE all these old pics of Mums which have been on the blogs this weekend!
I love your header, Nana! It's cozy!
ReplyDeleteI think people were smaller back then! We thought my mom was chubby (she said she WAS) but when we look at gowns she wore for occasional formal outings, they are SMALL and we couldn't zip them up. Maybe we were eating too many French fries and chocolate chip cookies.
I think your header pic is fine, not too in your face.The basque certainly needs to be out on show to appreciate all the work that has gone into it,it's like a piece of art.Sue x
ReplyDeleteI love your header! Gosh all I can think of is how uncomfortable those clothes would be :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful basque, so divine, but where to wear it??? Great to have it on show so you get to appreciate it and you never know the right event might present itself sometime down the line xx
ReplyDeletePS Loving the new header!
ReplyDelete